Happy WIP Wednesday Everyone!
I like to start all of my posts as a letter to the reader. I don’t know why I settled on this format for the blog when I began it. I suppose it felt more personal that way. Given that most of my readers are probably friends and family anyway, it seems an appropriate choice… 🙂
Or at least that’s how it started out. These days I have several blog friends and that relationship is entirely unique. It’s both distant and intimate. I know these people, in the sense that through their blog posts I have a clear glimpse into their lives. I know how many children and pets they have, what their spouses names are, what they do for a living, how they spend their time, their favorite colors, foods, books, music, and other tastes. So in one sense, I know them intimately — through their blog I laugh with them, feel sad with them, celebrate births, mourn deaths and spend my time with them.
On the other hand, I don’t know them at all. I don’t know where they live. We’ve never met for lunch. We don’t spend any time together in person and there are things you just don’t learn about each other as internet pen-pals.
So, it’s for this reason that I am writing this post today. I don’t normally do this sort of thing — my friends and family know that 99% of the time I delete forwards and questionnaires — I get enough junk mail without sending more into the world and ruining my e-mail karma! But when my friend Steph at Woolythyme decided to adapt one of these emails for the blogger-verse to try and get to know her bloggers better, I thought it was a great idea. So here goes…
- Post these rules on your blog.
- You must post 11 random things about yourself.
- Answer the questions set for you by the person who tagged you.
- Create 11 new questions for the people you tag. …well…. I adapted those from Steph because they were so good…
- Let them know that you tagged them. *** nah…
- You legitimately have to tag 11 people, but if you don’t know 11 bloggers, tag as many as you can.*** nope not happening…
- Favorite pet of all time. My mini schnauzer, Sasha
- Meryl Streep or Diane Keaton? I like them both, but Diane Keaton hands down.
- Favorite movie set. The beach cottage in Something’s Gotta Give.
- Furthest you’ve ever been from home. Ekaterinburg, Russia (Literally on the other side of the world — 5,829 miles)
- Most unusual mode of transportation you’ve ever tried. Prison Bus. (Russia mission trip transportation)
- Do you speak any foreign languages? (Pig Latin counts) Italian.
- Best vacation you’ve ever been on. I spent a summer in Italy in college. It was wonderful!
- What is your earliest childhood memory? I remember getting my first pet when I was 3. A tiny black and white kitten.
- A book you’ve read that you would recommend to everyone. Just one? The Thirteenth Tale.
- I think most of us are crafters—your most disastrous crafted thing. (If you don’t craft–your biggest kitchen disaster….let me tell you about my eggnog sometime.) I slaved over a snowflake afghan when I was 15. I finally finished it right before Christmas in 1999. 7 days before Christmas our house burned to the ground — no more blanket… 😦 Eventually I remade it and gave it to my mother, finally. You can see it here…
- Your favorite toy as a child. Probably a crochet hook (I started young). If it has to be a toy, I had a brown teddy bear that I was pretty rough on. I still have it — his ear partly melted when I left him too close to the heater and he’s a bit threadbare here and there, but he’s still alive!
- Who is your favorite singer (or band)? Loreena McKennitt
- Have you seen the first person you kissed in the last 10 years? We’re married, I see her ever day!
- What country would you like to visit before you die? New Zealand!
- Have you ever seen a dead body in person? Yes
- Favorite book or movie that makes you want to eat. Hmm… Toss up really. No Reservations, or Julie and Julia, or maybe It’s Complicated… so many good ones recently.
1. My favorite color is Blue.
2. I lost a sister just hours after she was born.
3. I am a chef, crocheter, knitter, spinner and a potter, photographer, and student of Art History.
4. I wear glasses when I read. That’s the only time so most people don’t know.
5. I was a white haired blonde when I was little… with straight hair. (Think Village of the Damned)
6. I was envious of knitting when I was little and only knew how to crochet — although I would never have admitted it.
7. I am a better knitter because I learned to crochet first.
8. Ever since I was little I have loved the Alien movies… but I hated small murderous things in horror movies…
9. I have been afraid of clowns since I saw killer clowns from outer space.
10. I have ridden an elephant.
11. I have been in a Russian prison.
Although I think it’s cliche, my favorite city in the world is Paris.
1. What is your funniest pet story?
2. Meryl Streep or Diane Keaton? (gotta keep the good ones)
3. Your favorite Ravelry designer?
4. Your favorite place in your country?
5. Your favorite British TV series?
6. What is your favorite pastry?
7. Best vacation you’ve ever been on.
8. What is your favorite childhood memory?
9. A book series you’ve read that you would recommend to everyone?
10. I think most of us are crafters—describe the first thing you made that you were really proud of…
11. Your favorite toy as an adult 🙂
So, that’s the game… Now is the part where I’m supposed to tag/forward to a bunch of people which isn’t happening. BUT, if you’d like to participate I’d love it if you used this on your own blog or chose a few questions to answer in the comments section — that way everyone can play!
3. No comment is necessary — the request is added automatically by Mr. Linky.